Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Oh, memories

This morning a friend posted a link to one of Rick Springfield's many bizarre videos, which reminded me of what may be his video magnum opus, the video for the song Human Touch. And that is saying a lot, the man was like a machine of weird cheesy music videos with inexplicably grandiose plots. Human Touch is a lovely time capsule of what the video's director must have thought "the future" would look like back in 1983. Folks, in just 4 years (the video is set in 2016)  after some sort of apocalypse, people who were frozen in the 80s wearing some uncomfortable looking clothes, will be forced to use some really outdated technology, and will be in such dire need of human touch, they will spontaneously burst into bad choreography with their fellow survivors. Wonderfully kooky. I've watched the video about 3 times today, and giggled each time.

I was a teen in the 80s, and have the pictures of me with feathered hair and blue eyeshadow to prove it. As such, I have wonderful memories of all the incredibly bad music videos of the era, time capsules of the bad fashion choices and horrible acting that happened when musicians were forced to make music videos in order to reach the MTV audience. Most of the videos that I enjoyed at the time do not hold up well - and I'm pretty sure people watching them for the first time would be too busy laughing to enjoy the music. I have wonderful memories of incredibly odd videos from Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Hall and Oates, Pat Benatar, and of course my fav, Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. I have no idea what the names of the boys in One Direction or The Wanted are, or how their music will hold up, but I know they don't have the moves of the first boy band I remember dancing to, Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike (plus Ralph), aka New Edition.

Anyway, I always love a trip down 80s music memory lane, especially if it features an awesomely overblown music video. If you have a fav, let me know, and let's keep this little nostalgia trip going. If it features a dream sequence, even better!

1 comment:

  1. I never forget about The Jets, but their videos were pretty run-of-the-mill, with straightforward storylines.

    Thompson Twins defintely had some head-scratchers too. Also Men Without Hats, The Safety Dance. And oh, Wham!

    ReplyDelete