Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pop culture obsessed

I have said in the past that I am a makeup geek. Well, low and behold, I have discovered I am not the only one. And that there is not only a website with that name, founded by a fellow makeup-aholic named Marlena, but that they sell makeup! I happened to see an announcement regarding some of their new eyeshadows - and I saw that one of them was called Pop Culture. And it was a beautiful blue/lavender purple color. I knew right then and there I had to get my hands on some of that. I mean, this eyeshadow was obviously made for me: a makeup geek with a pop culture obsession and a weakness for purple.

Clockwise from top left: Cosmopolitan, Cocoa Bear,
 Pop Culture, Barcelona Beach.
Makeup Geek (MUG) eyeshadows are easily compared to MAC - they come in pans about the same size, except MUG shadows cost $5.99 each, and MAC cost like $15. To the right you see I made myself a little quad of MUG eyeshadows since I can't live on pop culture alone. (I am using a $1 ELF compact - I try to be a somewhat frugal addict.) These shadows are BEAUTIFUL. Soft, nicely pigmented, easy to blend, and really long lasting. Over primer (which I always wear now), they've lasted all day on me with minimal fading or creasing, which is amazing. I will definitely be buying more. Best of all, it's a cruelty free brand. :)


So, in honor of my new favorite makeup product, here are some of my current favorite makeup and pop culture/entertainment things:
  • Orphan Black - Folks, I am obsessed with this show. I am in awe of Tatiana Maslany's chameleon-like skills in portraying about half a dozen different characters on the regular - fully formed, unique women, who happen to be clones. Love the little bits of humor mixed in with the big mystery (that has to do with science!), and really appreciate Paul's abs. (I am very shallow.)
  • Mamrie Hart/You Deserve A Drink: This woman cracks me up on the regular. Love her quirky/weird improv-y Mametown videos, and her punny/funny You Deserve A Drink series, which besides a good laugh, provides some interesting cocktail recipes. Plus she wrote a movie, Camp Takota, and actually got it made, co-starring herself along with two of her best friends (who are also very funny ladies on YouTube.) I have much respect for a woman who will use just about any excuse to bust out a costume and a funny pop culture pun.
  • Betty Who - I've played her Slow Dancing EP countless times in the past few weeks. Feeds my love of catchy pop music that is a pleasure to listen to, no guilt involved.
  • Hold Still by Nina LaCour - so I think I've moved on from all my dystopian future young adult series to heartbreaking books about young adults dealing with some very real things. (My love of young adult fiction hasn't waned though.) This novel, about a teen dealing with the suicide of her best friend, was gripping, emotional, and at times uncomfortably honest. One of the best of my recent reads - which is saying a bit, because I think I've been on a bit of roll with good reads.
  • Stila Smudge Stick waterproof eye liner - my current love is specifically the Mint Julep shade. These puppies are so pigmented and easy to apply, and I love that they are true to the color of the barrel. Plus they really do stay put on the lower lash line for me.
  • Milani Brilliant Shine lip gloss in Luminous. Lovely peachy/bronze shade that isn't too sticky and smells a bit like vanilla. It's a nice neutral/natural shade that works well with the pops of color eye looks I've been enjoying wearing. I think it would look really nice with tan/bronzed skin as well. (Something I don't know much about, as I tend to stay pale year-round.)
Those are some of my favs. I'm always on the lookout for new things - if you have any fun pop culture recommendations, I'd love to hear them.


No comments:

Post a Comment