Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hot weather makeup

Yesterday I had a marathon phone call with one of my best friends, who recently moved to New Orleans. It was one of those conversations where you talk about everything - life, pop culture, world news, who is driving you crazy, and since I'm involved, makeup. She was telling me about how crazy humid it is down there (I've found it impossible to have a good hair day when I've visited in the past) and was asking for some hot weather makeup tips. I had been outside running errands in some hot weather all day, and despite having done some sweating, was pleasantly surprised to see that my makeup remained in really good shape. While I was telling her what I had used, she told me to just write a post on it instead, so here it is.


The following is a list of the products I used to create the look that lasted through my sweat:


Some of my hot weather essentials
  • Milani Infinite Liquid eyeliner. Once this stuff sets, it is not going ANYWHERE until you put some oil on it to remove. (Seriously, not makeup remover wipes or regular cleanser, I use jojoba oil to dissolve this stuff, then wash it off.) It is 100% sweat proof. Great for summer and humidity, if a bit tricky to apply, since the brush has a tendency to come out with waaaay too much product. Once you get the hang of it though, I think it's fabulous. It claims 24-hour wear, and I can't vouch if it lasts that long, but I have tested outside for 10+ hours on hot, humid Washington DC days, and having seen how well it performed, I can see it lasting for the full period. It's the only eye lining product I've ever tried that has lasted all day on my oily lids, in the heat, and hasn't ended up smudged across my eye, or across my face. (Because it is a liquid eyeliner, I don't recommend it for lower lash line, but if you want a winged eyeliner that won't budge, this stuff is for you. For lower lash line, I have found that the Rimmel Scandaleyes waterproof kohl and Milani Liquid Eye liners work pretty well, especially if set with powder shadow.)
  • NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base is a holy grail product for me. It has seriously changed my attitude towards wearing makeup every day, because I can finally wear shadows for more than a couple of hours. This stuff is expensive, but a little goes a long way, and I haven't found anything, high end or drugstore priced, that works as well on me. This was the base of my eye makeup yesterday - a look I wore for a solid 8 hours outside in the heat without any fading or smudging - did I mention it was hot out and I sweat a lot? It is fabulous.
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Gel Shadows - Most attempts at wearing eyeshadow in the summer start melting in minutes. These shadows actually stay in place well, especially with a powder shadow applied over them. They make a good colored base, making any shadow you apply over them look more vibrant. Yesterday I used the shade Barely Branded over the NARS base, then used a trio of MAC eyeshadows (Naked Lunch, Kid and Folie) to create a natural look that survived the heat. (I have found that with my already oily lids, once the weather turns really hot and humid, even with great primer/base, most powder shadows have a limited survival time. In those weather conditions, the NARS base/Color Tattoo/MAC powder shadow combo lasts the longest for me.)
  • Cover Girl Clump Crusher mascara, in the waterproof formula, of course. A mascara that actually delivers on some of it's promises - it adds volume (though I don't think I buy the 200% claim) and, at least for me, it doesn't clump. Plus the waterproof formula lasts all day, and even in the heat, I do not have to worry about raccoon eyes. 
  • Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous foundation - the newest product in my long-wear makeup arsenal. This stuff is supposed to fuse primer, foundation and concealer in one long-lasting formula. Yeah, right I thought. I know my Revlon Colorstay for oily skin foundation works, and stays put. But then a few weeks ago, taking advantage of a sale and some coupons, I decided to try it, and have been more than pleasantly surprised. I love that it has a matte but not cakey or flat finish, and I like that it has a more natural look than the Revlon foundation. Unlike many drugstore foundations I've tried, it didn't break me out. It doesn't set quite as fast as the Colorstay foundation, so it's easier to blend out. It does provide really good coverage and is long-lasting, but if you have spots or troubled skin areas, you'll still need a separate concealer.
  • LORAC POREfection mattifying primer - this stuff feels a little slick,  but under foundation it really helps extend wear and decrease shine. It's pricey, but one tube will last A LONG time.
  • Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray - I have found that setting sprays are a must when you need your makeup to last all day. I spray this stuff before applying foundation, then again after applying my makeup to help set it. It does help control oil, and really helps makeup last longer. There are non oil-control versions of this setting spray as well, but this is what I use. 
  • Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian clay finishing powder - a translucent powder that helps set makeup and mattifies skin. I like that it doesn't seem to settle in the fine lines around my eyes, and doesn't look chalky. I pat this over my makeup, then spritz setting spray over it. 
  • Benefit Cha Cha Tint - the container looks a little intense orange, but this cheek/lip stain looks like a pretty apricot/peachy color applied. For an all-day long-wear blush, I spread a few dots of this stuff over my foundation, then layer powder blush over it.
  • Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour blush. These blushes probably have the best staying power of any that I have used, but they are quite pricey. I used the one in Achiote (a warm coral-y pink matte that came in a set with coordinating lip products) layered over the Cha Cha tint for extra longevity. 
  • MAC blot powder - I have been carrying this stuff, along with blotting papers - in my purse for YEARS to help control shine throughout the day. I love that it helps control shine but isn't super cakey. I also love that it is the only product I've ever owned in which the shade "medium dark" looks natural on my pale skin. :-)
  • Coola sunscreen - even though foundation I used had SPF, I always apply sunscreen underneath, especially if I know I'll be outside for more than just a few minutes. This stuff dries matte, unlike most sunscreens that make me look oilier, and it doesn't break me out. It is pricey, but can be found on sale online.
Because I have super oily skin, I've found that a lot of the products I have grown to love because of their staying power seem to work pretty darn well in humidity too. When summer is in full swing and the air feels like a soupy swamp, it's 98 degrees Fahrenheit with 90% humidity, they might not all work quite as well, and they might not be great for folks with dry skin, but if you have combination to oily skin, these products should help give you a fighting chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment