Sunday, December 15, 2013

Favorite budget beauty: 2013 edition

I haven't expressed my love of makeup products in written form in awhile, so I thought I'd do a short post on some of my favorite budget-friendly beauty finds of 2013. I have put myself back in the no-buy zone, so I'm hoping that by looking at my current stash and writing about it, it will help curb the junkie cravings to go get more. Also, I'm focusing on drugstore brand products honestly because my favorite higher-end finds of 2013 were limited edition and are no longer available except probably at even more jacked-up prices online. And why tease like that?

Of the following list, some are products that were new releases this year, some were just products I "discovered" thanks to sales and/or recommendations from other blogs. All have gotten plenty of love and use from me. I think all would make nice stocking stuffers for others, or an inexpensive beauty gift for yourself.

  • Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous foundation - a sign of how much I like this product: it's one of the few I've used consistently since I purchased it - I've already written about it. It provides really good coverage, is long-lasting, and I like how it looks on, particularly when used in conjunction with the following two products.
  • Real Techniques miracle complexion sponge - at this point you could probably say I'm a Real Techniques groupie, and this tool only increased my fandom. The design makes it super easy to apply and blend liquid and cream makeup, and the price point is way more affordable than other, similarly designed beauty sponges. I own two. 
  • Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder - the newest one in terms of length it has been in my collection, this is definitely not a new product, but for some reason I had never tried it before. The reason might be that it smells like something your grandmother used (probably because she did, this stuff has been around since the 1930s.) The good thing is, the smell doesn't linger, and this finely milled powder will leave your skin looking flawless. (I've been using it with the Cover Girl foundation, and have found I don't have to blot my oily skin as often throughout the day. Love.) Also good: I bought this puppy for 75% off at CVS beauty clearance. (Which probably means it is being discontinued, ugh.)
  • e.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow - specifically in the shades Toasted and Burnt Plum. I love the price point of e.l.f. makeup and the fact that it's cruelty free, but the quality of the line is patchy. These two shadows apply well dry or wet, have good staying power (always over primer with me) and look really nice worn together. (Tip: Before buying e.l.f. products, always read the reviews. Also, I wait to buy e.l.f. when it's 50% off, so that way if I end up trying a dud, I don't feel like as much of a sucker.)
                                                             
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in Nude Pink. The review I've linked expresses why this was one of my favorites this year. This was a limited edition product, so I feel bad including it, since it's hard to find now, but it was truly one of my favorite products of the year. So much so that I feel the need to put the following request on the internet: dear Maybelline executives, please please please make this part of the permanent range. It's fabulous. I own A TON of makeup, including many shades of the color tattoos, but the well in this pot is already making me nervous, because I know that when I run out, I cannot go to the drugstore to replace it.
  • Jordana Twist & Shine Moisturizing Balm Stain. I've gone on record with my love of the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains, and I'm a fan of the Tarte LipSurgences as well. Apparently I love a lip product that reminds me of a crayon. Well, this sucker might be my new fav - because at less than $3, the price point cannot be beat. I own the shades Nude Chic and Honey Love, and if it were more convenient for me to get to a Walgreen's or K-Mart, where Jordana is sold, I would probably own more. And speaking of Jordana,
  • Jordana 12 HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil. As I've mentioned before, I have a weakness for smudge-proof eyeliners. These are my new favorite budget-friendly ones. Pigmented, creamy, they have very nice staying power, and you cannot beat the under $3 price tag. Plus they come in fun shades other than just brown and black.

No comments:

Post a Comment