The following is a list of the products I have been using lately that put up a fight with the heat, humidity, and my sweat. They are in the higher end of the price spectrum, but they are what I have found work best in terms of lasting power. I'm not saying these products will survive all day when the air outside feels like you're walking around in warm soup, but they do give you a fighting chance to look somewhat polished if you have to be out working in the gumbo.
- NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base remains a holy grail product for me. I know I talk about it a lot, but I still haven't found anything, high end or drugstore priced, that works quite as well in terms of keeping my eyeshadows in place, although the LORAC Behind the Scenes one is a close second. They are both pretty fabulous at creating a nice canvas for shadows, and keeping them from fading/creasing, but the NARS still takes the cake, especially in hot weather.
- BareMinerals Locked & Coated Waterproof Lash Topcoat this stuff is fantastic. It's an invisible topcoat that makes any mascara water/sweat proof for lasting wear without altering your initial application. And although it stops me from getting the dreaded raccoon eyes, it's not as hard to remove as most waterproof mascaras are. Love it.
- Liquid eyeliner - when it's soupy outside and my eyelids start to sweat (it happens) I have found that pretty much every gel or pencil liner will melt and leave me with the dreaded raccoon look. So I stick with liquid eyeliner, Lately my liner of choice has been the Stila Stay-All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner - which DOES NOT BUDGE. It also comes in a variety of colors which is pretty awesome, although I've only used the brown and black.
- theBalm Instain blushes have the best staying power of any that I have used - and I've tried many. They are SUPER pigmented, and require a light hand during application unless you want to end up looking clown-like. I really enjoy theBalm products, and buy them when their site has a sale or when their products are on Hautelook.
- Supergoop Defense Refresh Setting Mist. I discovered this stuff this year, and love it. I carry it in my purse at all times for a refreshing mist that also fortifies my sun protection throughout the day. It has a nice herbal scent that is not at all sunscreeny, has a matte finish when it dries, and controls oil while delivering UV protection. I took it with me on my recent vacation and am happy to report that despite walking around outside for hours each day, I returned home just as pale as I left. :)
- Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Ultra Sheer Daily Defense sunscreen. Even though most foundations I use have built-in SPF, I almost always apply sunscreen underneath, especially if I know I'll be outside for more than just a few minutes. This stuff dries matte, unlike most sunscreens that make me look oilier, doesn't smell offensive, and it doesn't break me out. I especially like it on the days when I don't wear any makeup, because it doesn't leave me looking like an oil slick like a lot of other sunscreens. It is pricey, but can be found on sale online.